Most Active Stories
Tue October 30, 2012
7 STRING GUITAR KING CHARLIE HUNTER HEADS "SWEET 16"
Whether recording with a group or going solo, guitarist Charlie Hunter has long been a favorite of both WEMU listeners and hosts. His newest offering pairs the 7-string guitarist up with drummer Scott Amendola. Their depth of musical sound makes it hard to believe that there are just two musicians, but these two are so adept and so complementary that they fill all the musical spaces. They will also likely fill all the spaces when they appear at The Magic Bag Theater in Ferndale on Thursday, November 1st.
Another reason WEMU hosts appreciate Charlie Hunter are his humorously titled tunes. When you read song titles such as "Not Getting Behind Is The New Getting Ahead" or "Those Desks Aren't Going To Clean Themselves" or "There Used To Be A Nightclub There", your curiosity is piqued. Thankfully, your inquisitiveness is rewarded with quirky, catchy modern melodies.
Here is our most recent "Sweet 16" with Charlie Hunter and Scott Amendola on top, but also note the presence of four fine regional recordings on the list: Bettye LaVette, Walter White, Doug Deming and Morgen Stiegler.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY October 22 to October 28, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
- CHARLIE HUNTER AND SCOTT AMENDOLA “Not Getting Behind Is The New Getting Ahead” (Charlie Hunter Music)
- ED BYRNE'S LATIN JAZZ EVOLUTION "Conquistador" (Blue Truffle Music)
- BETTYE LAVETTE "Thankful 'n' Thoughtful" (ANTI-)
- JEFF COFFIN & MU'TET "Into the Air" (Into the Air)
- BILLY MARTIN / WIL BLADES “Shimmy” (The Royal Potato Family)
- MISSISSIPPI HEAT “Delta Bound” (Delmark Records)
- ANAT COHEN “Claroscuro” (Anzic Records)
- JOHN DAVERSA “Artful Joy” (BFM Jazz)
- JOE JACKSON “The Duke” (Razor & Tie)
- TAKUYA KURODA “Six Aces” (www.takuyakuroda.com)
- PONCHO SANCHEZ AND HIS LATIN JAZZ BAND “Live In Hollywood” (Concord Picante Records)
- WALTER WHITE & SMALL MEDIUM @ LARGE “Breaking Good” (Brassjar Music)
- MORGEN STIEGLER “Reaching For The Moon” (www.morgenstiegler.com)
- ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin But Love” (Provogue)
- DOUG DEMING & THE JEWEL TONES "What's it Gonna Take" (Vizztone)
- ROSIE FLORES "Working Girl's Guitar" (Bloodshot Records)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND PATRICK HOLUBIK