Most Active Stories
- WEMU Announces New Weekend Programming Lineup
- Blues Guitar Legend Johnny Winter Dead At 70
- Despite California's Drought, Taps Still Flowing In LA County
- Ann Arbor Mayoral Candidates Share Thoughts On Affordable Housing And Homelessness
- Issues of the Environment: Sustainable Living On The 'Homestead'
Tue June 24, 2014
Ann Arbor and Whitmore Lake Schools Considering Annexation
Whitmore Lake Public Schools has a small fund balance and only plans to open two buildings in the fall, which could make the district ripe for state take-over. A possible alternative now being studied is annexation by Ann Arbor Public Schools.
Ann Arbor Public Schools Communications Director Liz Margolis says there are a lot of questions that need to be answered. This includes issues around taxes, funding, and contracts both districts currently have. She says there are also questions about the annexation procedure itself that need to be considered.
The districts right now are working on a timeline that would have ballot language ready by late August so voters could decide in November. Margolis says the annexation plan would need to pass in both districts to move forward.
— Andrew Cluley is the Ann Arbor beat reporter, and anchor for 89.1 WEMU News. Contact him at 734.487.3363 or email him firstname.lastname@example.org.