Most Active Stories
- WEMU Announces New Weekend Programming Lineup
- Blues Guitar Legend Johnny Winter Dead At 70
- Despite California's Drought, Taps Still Flowing In LA County
- Ann Arbor Mayoral Candidates Share Thoughts On Affordable Housing And Homelessness
- Issues of the Environment: Sustainable Living On The 'Homestead'
Fri March 7, 2014
Ann Arbor Police in Midst of 26 Weeks to Safer Streets Effort
The Ann Arbor Police Department is just over one-third of the way through a six month effort to increase pedestrian and motorist safety. Almost 50 officers have worked overtime in the last two months specifically for the 26 Weeks to Safer Streets Program.
Officers have made over 360 traffic stops, but Chief John Seto says more than half of the stops haven’t resulted in a ticket.
Seto says much of the effort has been targeted in areas of past community complaints, but the department is benefiting from a new online survey. He says this allows residents to give more specific information so officers can be deployed most efficiently.
Only about 21 percent of the overtime hours budgeted for the program have been used so far. Seto says this means even more officers will be out as the temperatures rise, and more pedestrians and bikes are expected.
— Andrew Cluley is the Ann Arbor beat reporter, and anchor for 89.1 WEMU News. Contact him at 734.487.3363 or email him firstname.lastname@example.org.