Detroiter Bettye LaVette Tops "Sweet 16" From October 15th to 21st.
Supporting regional musicians with airplay remains a highest priority at WEMU. As you peruse the "Sweet 16" for October 15th through the 21st, take note of the many recordings on the list with regional connections including the topper, "Thankful 'N Thoughtful" by Detroiter, soul siren Bettye LaVette.
The disc has been released in conjunction with her autobiography "A Woman Like Me" to commemorate her 5oth year as a professional singer. She's an uncompromising individual which created obstacles and pain in her life, but this highly principled woman has persevered and is now producing some of the most truthful modern soul music in America today. Her voice rankles with the ravages of time and hard musical living, but like Billie Holiday, LaVette's rough vocal quality enhances her deep and sensitive repertoire. Her songs range from the existential such as Bob Dylan's "Everything Is Broken" to a lament for Detroit with "Dirty Old City" and to the apologetic title track.
Ms. LaVette and her band are slated to appear at The Ark in Ann Arbor on Wednesday, November 7th. As we lead up to the show, expect more to hear from this sincere, soulful singer.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY October 15 to October 21, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. BETTYE LAVETTE “Thankful N’ Thoughtful” (Anti- Records)
2. JOHNNIE BASSETT “I Can Make That Happen” (Sly Dog Records)
3. TUMBAO BRAVO “Casa Versailles” (PKO Records)
4. ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin But Love” (Provogue)
5. HOT CLUB OF DETROIT “Junction” (Mack Avenue Records)
6. ANTIBALAS “Antibalas” (Daptone)
7. JD MCPHERSON “Signs & Signifiers” (Histyle / Rounder)
8. MARCUS MILLER “Renaissance” (Concord Jazz)
9. RJ SPANGLER TRIO "This is What We Do" (Eastlawn Records)
10. ANAT COHEN “Claroscuro” (Anzic Records)
11. CHEMBO CORNIEL QUINTET “Afro Blue Monk” (American Showplace Music)
12. CHRISTIAN SCOTT “Christian Atunde Adjauh” (Concord Jazz)
13. DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND "Twenty Dozen" (Savoy Jazz)
14. DOUG DEMING & THE JEWEL TONES "What's it Gonna Take" (Vizztone)
15. KURT ELLING “1619 Broadway: The Brill Building Project” (Concord Jazz)
16. RAMPAGE SWING "Michigan Avenue Stomp" (www.rampageswing.com)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND PATRICK HOLUBIK