Most Active Stories
- WEMU Announces New Weekend Programming Lineup
- Blues Guitar Legend Johnny Winter Dead At 70
- Despite California's Drought, Taps Still Flowing In LA County
- Ann Arbor Mayoral Candidates Share Thoughts On Affordable Housing And Homelessness
- Issues of the Environment: Sustainable Living On The 'Homestead'
Thu October 24, 2013
EMU Police, Area Law Enforcement Agencies to Collaborate on Patrols
Eastern Michigan University and area police agencies will immediately begin collaborating on patrols of the LaForge Road area north of the EMU campus.
The university says the EMU Department of Public Safety will work with Ypsilanti and Ypsilanti Township police and the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office, with each dedicating officers specifically to patrol the area.
EMU Police Chief Bob Heighes says each evening, assigned officers will meet at the university's Public Safety headquarters to coordinate their efforts.
The stepped-up patrols come in the wake of the death of 20 year-old Demarius Reed, an EMU student athlete found dead in the University Green apartment complex he lived in one week ago Friday, the victim of an apparent robbery.
The reward for information that helps solve the case has grown to $10,000, with EMU and Crime Stoppers providing half of that, and University Green apartments the rest. Call Crime Stoppers at 800-SPEAK UP. You don't have to give your name.