Most Active Stories
- Stretch Of Ann Arbor-Saline Road To Reopen As Construction Moves To Phase Three
- PHOTOS: Highlights From The 2014 Detroit Jazz Festival
- Detroit Jazz Festival Music: Walter White's 'Most Triumphant'
- Issues of the Environment: A2 TimeBank And Future Sustainability
- New Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority Route Praised By Ypsilanti And Ypsilanti Township Riders
Wed October 30, 2013
Issues of the Environment: Solar Energy in Ypsilanti
Ypsilanti continues to push forward with a goal of becoming a solar destination.
What began as a grassroots effort in 2005, has progressed to the point where the Ypsilanti City Council has passed a resolution establishing a goal of having one-thousand solar roofs in the city by the year 2020.
Our guest this week is Dave Strenski.
You can learn more by visiting www.solarypsi.org
See Dave Strenki's talk at last year's TEDxEMU conference here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0pTz-Qc40
Solar power has been growing in this country at a tremendous rate over the past few years, and Ypsilanti is ahead of the curve in embracing it. Dave will explain the basics of photovoltaic power: how to install grid-tied systems, the economics of solar power in Michigan, and why you should consider a solar installation on your building. This lively talk will also describe an ambitious new goal to dramatically increase the number of solar installations in Ypsilanti by 2020, and make Ypsilanti a “Solar Destination”.
Issues of the Environment is a regular part of WEMU's Morning Edition on Wednesday and is produced in partnership with the Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division.