Most Active Stories
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: The Threat Of Oil Pipelines
- Obama Tries Going It Alone — And Moves Onto Murky Legal Ground
- You Know It's Cold When Kenny Martin Wears Pants
- Ann Arbor City Council Delays Decision on Buying Edwards Brothers Property
- All But One Ypsilanti Community Schools Building to Open Friday
Thu October 4, 2012
Joe Jackson's tribute to Duke Ellington, "The Duke" leads WEMU's "Sweet 16" September 24th to 30th.
Never let it be said that when a major artist comes to town, that WEMU doesn't get behind the show and share music with listeners to let them know about the music they'll hear. We got behind last week's Joe Jackson concert at The Michigan Theater featuring violinist Regina Carter in a real big way.
However, if "The Duke" by Joe Jackson hadn't been an intriguing CD, it wouldn't have been at the top of the list. With Detroiter Regina Carter playing a special melodic foil role in contrast to the rocking arrangements from Jackson's imagination, this is a recording that begs a serious listen. Vocal turns from Iggy Pop (also with Michigan roots) and Sharon Jones are two more of the disc highlights.
And again - a highlight of the "Sweet 16" - were the regional artists at the top of all new CDs played in the week.. The leaders for the week of September 24th through the 30th were Hot Club Of Detroit, Nuevo Jazz Detroit and Rampage Swing.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY September 23 to September 30, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. Joe Jackson Featuring Regina Carter "The Duke" (Razor & Tie)
2. Marcus Miller "Renaissance" (Concord Jazz)
3. Christian Scott "Christian Atunde Adjuah" (Concord Jazz)
4. Kurt Elling "1619 Broadway: The Brill Building Project" (Concord Jazz)
5. Shemekia Copeland "33 1/3" (Telarc)
6. Hot Club Of Detroit "Junction" (Mack Avenue Records)
7. Jeff Coffin & The Mu'Tet "Into The Air" (EarUp Records)
8. Maceo Parker "Soul Classics" (Razor & Tie)
9. Nuevo Jazz Detroit "Prima" (www.nuevojazzdetroit.com)
10. Rick Holmstrom "Cruel Sunrise" (M.C.)
11. Anat Cohen "Claroscuro" (Anzic)
12. Brad Mehldau Trio "Where Do You Start?" (Nonesuch)
13. Dirty Dozen Brass Band "Twenty Dozen" (Savoy Jazz)
14. Donald Harrison, Jr. "Quantum Leap" (Fomp)
15. Euphoria Brass Band "Coast to Coast" (www.EuphoriaBrassBand.com)
16. Rampage Swing "Michigan Avenue Stomp" (www.rampageswing.com)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND PATRICK HOLUBIK