Menahan Street Band Tops "Sweet 16" Two Weeks In A Row.
The first few weeks of a new year are rough on hosts of free-form music programs. The big year-end push is over, the holiday recordings are retired and fresh music is yet to arrive in the mail or come via download. Thankfully at WEMU, we were able to snag some strong new music in late November and early December of 2012 to keep us jamming in to 2013. One of of our most delightful discoveries was "The Crossing" by The Menahan Street Band". I wrote a long article on their associations and genesis last week, so for more information check out the previous post.
Two worthy recordings new for 2013 made this week's "Sweet Sixteen": "Elemental" by Aguanko and "Cross Culture" by Joe Lovano and Us Five. Joe Lovano has long been a WEMU listener favorite and we predict that the ensemble Aguanko will soon become one of your favorites. This elegant Latin jazz group is led by conguero Alberto Nacif, former host of WEMU's "Cuban Fantasy" program which is now hosted by Marc Taras. Expect rave reviews and international attention for "Elemental" by Aguanko. WEMU is honored to be the first radio station on the planet to play this beautiful, inspirational Latin music.
WEMU’s SWEET SIXTEEN for the week of December 31, 2012 – Janaury 6, 2013
1. MENAHAN STREET BAND "The Crossing" (Dunham Records)
2. BETTYE LAVETTE "Thankful 'n' Thoughtful" (ANTI-)
3. DIANA KRALL “Glad Rag Doll” (Verve)
4. AGUANKO “Elemental” (PKO Records)
5. WINARD HARPER & JELI POSSE "Coexist" (Jazz Legacy Productions)
6. ANN RABSON WITH BOB MARGOLIN “Not Alone” (VizzTone Records)
7. BILLY MARTIN / WIL BLADES “Shimmy” (The Royal Potato Family)
8. BRAD MEHLDAU TRIO "Where Do You Start" (Nonesuch)
9. DR. LONNIE SMITH “The Healer” (Pilgrimage Productions)
10. JOHN NÉMETH “Soul Live” (Nemeth Music)
11. TAKUYA KURODA “Six Aces” (www.takuyakuroda.com )
12. CHESTER “CT” THOMPSON “Mixology” (Doodlin’ Records)
13. CLIFTON ANDERSON "And So We Carry On" (Daywood Drive Records)
14. ELIZABETH SHEPHERD “Rewind” (Linus Entertainment)
15. JEFF COFFIN & MU'TET "Into the Air" (Into the Air)
16. JOE LOVANO AND US FIVE “Cross Culture” (Blue Note Records)
17. JULIAN FAUTH “Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right” (Electro-Fi)
~Compiled by Patrick Holubik and Linda Yohn