"The Crossing", the newest offering for The Menahan Street Band, is a two year journey in music. The outfit of multi-instrumentalists is the house band for Dunhan Records, a subsidiary of Daptone Records - the label that launched the careers of Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings as well as The Budos Band. The Menahan Street Band's star rose when their 2008 recording, "Make The Road By Walking" was sampled by hip-hop leaders Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Kid Cudi and more. In 2011 they backed funky soul sensation Charles Bradley on his highly acclaimed "No Time For Dreaming". 2012 Brought us "The Crossing", the most personal Menahan Street Band session yet.
Guitarist Thomas Brenneck founded The Menahan Street band with drummer Homer Steinweiss in Brooklyn, New York to keep the groove going when The Dap Kings were not touring or recording. Three other members of the Dap Kings have been in the band since 2001: bassist Nick Movshon, trumpeter Dave Guy and tenor saxophonist Leon Michaels. All members of the band are dedicated to the Menahan Street Band/Dap Kings/ Dunham philosophy that warm analog sound is far superior to cold digitized sound. That deep feeling permeates "The Crossing". Brenneck says that most tunes were composed late at night on acoustic guitar and fleshed out by the cooperative band in the all analog Dunham Sound Studios. This approach was welcomed with open ears by all WEMU hosts. In fact, as I reviewed the disc, I was unable to pick out the best tracks! Every single song is worth of your attention although "Keep Coming Back" with it's organ vamps would be our first recommendation followed by the loping "Bullet For The Bagman" and the lively, brassy "Driftwood". For more information about The Menahan Street Band, visit their website, http://menahanstreetband.com/
Along with The Menahan Street Band, the "Sweet Sixteen" for December 24th though the 30th included our favorite 2012 holiday recordings as well outstanding recent regional recordings by Ben Jansson, Walter White and Rampage Swing. We think that this was a high musical note on which to end 2012 and thank you for listening. We look forward to introducing you to more good new music in 2013.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY DECEMBER 24TH TO DECEMBER 30TH, 2012.
Linda Yohn, Music Director
- MENAHAN STREET BAND “The Crossing” (Dunham Records)
- ERNEST DAWKINS “Afro Straight” (Delmark Records)
- WINARD HARPER AND JELI POSSE “Coexist” (Jazz Legacy Productions)
- VARIOUS ARTISTS “Blind Raccoon Holiday Sampler” (Blind Raccoon Promotions)
- CHAISE LOUNGE “A Very Chaise Lounge Christmas” (Tune Core)
- TIM WARFIED “Tim Warfield’s Jazzy Christmas” (Undaunted Music)
- VARIOUS ARTISTS “Santa’s Got Mojo 2” (Electro-Fi)
- VARIOUS ARTISTS “Holidays Rule” (Hear Music / MPL)
- ANAT COHEN “Claroscuro” (Anzic Records)
- BEN JANSSON TRIO WITH SPECIAL GUEST RANDY NAPOLEON “Your Soul” (www.benjansson.com )
- DIANA KRALL “Glad Rag Doll” (Verve)
- WALTER WHITE AND SMALL MEDIUM @ LARGE “Breaking Good” (Brassjar Music)
- SUSIE ARIOLI FEATURING JORDAN OFFICER “Christmas Dreaming” (Jazzheads)
- THE BAD PLUS “Made Possible” (eOne Entertainment)
- JULIAN FAUTH “Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right” (Electro-Fi)
- RAMPAGE SWING “Michigan Avenue Stomp” (www.rampageswing.com )
~ Compiled by Patrick Holubik and Linda Yohn