Most Active Stories
- SnowBuddy Proposal to Clear Snow from Sidewalks in Ann Arbor Neighborhood
- Jeff Daniels urges responsibility at Chelsea meeting
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: The Threat Of Oil Pipelines
- Eastern Michigan University Hosts Panel Discussion on Education Achievement Authority
- William Clay Ford Sr. Passes Away at 88
Thu November 14, 2013
Number of Spots Ann Arbor Will Take for County-wide High School Options Still Uncertain
Ann Arbor Public Schools have still not determined how much they will participate in three county-wide high school options. The school board last night postponed a vote until next week's study session on how many seats they will use in the Early College Alliance, Washtenaw International High School, and Widening Advancement for Youth. The delay comes with Ann Arbor Schools wanting to use many fewer seats than the consortium has allocated to the district.
Superintendent Jeanice Swift says much of the confusion has been blamed on the superintendent transition, but she believes both parties are to blame for the communications issues. Swift recommended the district use 80 seats total in the ECA and Wi-Hi and 15 for WAY. The allocation approved by the consortium last month would give Ann Arbor 80 new seats in the ECA alone, and a straight lottery for Wi-Hi.
David Dugger is the Washtenaw Intermediate School District Director of Secondary Options. Dugger says the other consortium members in October opted to continue to use a straight lottery for Wi-Hi and a proportional system to assign slots to the ECA.