When I opened the package containing "Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right" by pianist, singer and guitarist Julian Fauth, I knew that WEMU hosts would be happy to find this in the library. His 2005 CD, "Songs Of Vice And Sorrow" was a host and listener favorite even though Julian was then a relatively young and unknown performer. When I put the 2012 sound of Julian Fauth into the player, I was fully convinced. This disc is tailor-made for WEMU.
Julian Fauth is a blues fanatic. His voice is clear, strong and highly nuanced. He can bend a note with the best of them. He is well-schooled in the legends of blues piano such as Otis Spann, Big Maceo, Memphis Slim and LeRoy Carr. He also appreciates elemental blues guitarists such as John Lee Hooker, Big Bill Broonzy, Mississippi John Hurt and Lightnin' Hopkins. It is how he brings blues styles from the 1930s, '40s and '50s into the present that makes him so intriguing and important to today's musical scene.
The disc opens with a plaintive guitar blues reminiscent of Lightnin' Hopkins. With a chorus of back-up voices and horns, some pieces may remind you of Lyle Lovett's large band. There are full-bore boogie-woogie romps such as "Riff Raff", plaintive blues such as "Let It Heal", folk-flavored numbers as in "End Of The Day" and uproarious hilarity such as "So Friggin' Happy". There is something for every blues and jazz fan on this disc and that is why it topped the "Sweet 16" November 19th through the 25th on WEMU.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY November 19 to November 25, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. JULIAN FAUTH “Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right” (Electro-Fi)
2. BEN JANSSON TRIO WITH SPECIAL GUEST RANDY NAPOLEON “Your Soul” (www.benjansson.com)
3. DIANA KRALL “Glad Rag Doll” (Verve)
4. MARCUS MILLER “Renaissance” (Concord Jazz)
5. RAPHAEL WRESSNIG AND ALEX SCHULTZ “Soul Gift” (Pepper Cake Records)
6. ANAT COHEN “Claroscuro” (Anzic Records)
7. BETTYE LAVETTE "Thankful 'n' Thoughtful" (ANTI-)
8. CARRIE WICKS “Barely There” (OA2 Records)
9. JOHN NÉMETH “Soul Live” (Nemeth Music)
10. RAMPAGE SWING "Michigan Avenue Stomp" (www.rampageswing.com)
11. ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin But Love” (Provogue)
12. SMOKIN' JOE KUBEK & BNOIS KING "Close to the Bone" (DELTA GROOVE MUSIC)
13. THE THELONIOUS MONK QUARTET “The Complete Columbia Studio Albums Collection” (Columbia/Legacy)
14. ANN RABSON WITH BOB MARGOLIN “Not Alone” (VizzTone Records)
15. DOUG DEMING & THE JEWEL TONES "What's it Gonna Take" (Vizztone)
16. TUMBAO BRAVO “Casa Versailles” (PKO Records)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND PATRICK HOLUBIK