Most Active Stories
Thu October 18, 2012
ROBERT CRAY'S "NOTHIN' BUT LOVE" WAS THE MOST-PLAYED CD FROM OCTOBER 8TH TO 14TH!
Buoyed by being selected as WEMU's blues fundraising premium, Robert Cray's newest CD, "Nothin' But Love" was the most played disc this past week on 89.1. Even if Cray's recording hadn't been chosen as a WEMU "thank-you gift", it would likely have risen to the top of our "Sweet Sixteen" by virtue of it's excellence.
Always a master guitarist, Robert Cray is in his finest form for this date which features original tunes along with stunning live cover of "You Belong To Me". Cray's voice is clear, strong, powerful, soulful and convincing. He may look stylish and suave on the cover of the disc, but as you listen, you'll know he has lived the blues he sings about. Perhaps Cray had the blues because he had to search for a new label. Thankfully, he landed with Provogue Records. This new label has presented a project with full rich sound, beautiful photographs and in-depth, revealing liner notes. The liner notes explain the story of Robert Cray and his band sticking together for decades. These long-time musical associates sparkle with fresh chemistry.
Perhaps you'll get a chance to listen to this disc as your fundraising premium. We're giving you a chance to own a rare, contemporary blues CD as a "Thank-You Gift" for a pledge. Even if the fall on-air fundraiser has concluded, you can still contribute any time and choose this fine disc as your premium. It's premium blues.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY October 8 to October 14, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin But Love” (Provogue)
2. BETTYE LAVETTE “Thankful N’ Thoughtful” (Anti- Records)
3. JOE JACKSON “The Duke” (Razor & Tie)
4. THELONIOUS MONK QUARTET – THE COMPLETE STUDIO ALBUMS COLLECTION “Sony Music / Legacy Recordings”
5. ANAT COHEN “Claroscuro” (Anzic Records)
6. BILLY MARTIN / WIL BLADES “Shimmy” (The Royal Potato Family)
7. TUMBAO BRAVO “Casa Versailles” (PKO Records)
8. JOHNNIE BASSETT “I Can Make That Happen” (Sly Dog Records)
9. SHEMEKIA COPELAND “33 1/3” (Telarc)
10. RAMPAGE SWING "Michigan Avenue Stomp" (www.rampageswing.com)
11. THE SKINNY “Dig On It”
12. ALISON WEDDING “This Dance” (Ground Up Music)
13. THE BAD PLUS “Made Possible” (eOne Entertainment)
14. YORON ISRAEL & HIGH STANDARDS “Visions: The Music Of Stevie Wonder” (Ronja Music Company)
15. TIM MAIA “The Existential Soul Of Tim Maia” (Luaka Bop)
16. MARCUS MILLER “Renaissance” (Concord Jazz)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND PATRICK HOLUBIK