Most Active Stories
- WEMU Announces New Weekend Programming Lineup
- Blues Guitar Legend Johnny Winter Dead At 70
- Despite California's Drought, Taps Still Flowing In LA County
- Ann Arbor Mayoral Candidates Share Thoughts On Affordable Housing And Homelessness
- Issues of the Environment: Sustainable Living On The 'Homestead'
Thu October 11, 2012
SHEMEKIA COPELAND ROCKS HER WAY BACK UP TO THE TOP OF WEMU'S "SWEET 16"!
In anticipation of her appearance at The Ark on October 11th, WEMU hosts featured the outstanding new CD "33 1/3" by the new "Queen of the Blues", Shemekia Copeland. Ms. Copeland actually comes from blues royalty -- her father is the legendary blues guitarist and composer, Johnny Clyde Copeland.
Even if Shemekia wasn't appearing at The Ark, this disc would still be in our "Sweet 16" because it is packed with variations on the blues. Her producer, Oliver Wood, of The Wood Brothers helped Shemekia make brilliant and surprising new musical choices. His years playing with blues man Tinsely Ellis coupled with his American roots music experience brought another dimension to Shemekia's blues base. "33 1/3" is a complete listening experience including tender ballads, rocking burners and a touch of country wisdom. This disc has our highest recommendation as do the other recordings in the "Sweet 16".
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY October 1 to October 7, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. SHEMEKIA COPELAND “33 1/3” (Telarc Blues)
2. ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin' But Love” (Provogue)
3. BETTYE LAVETTE “Thankful 'n' Thoughtful” (Anti-)
4. CASSANDRA WILSON “Another Country” (eOne Entertainment)
5. DOUG DEMMING & THE JEWEL TONES “What's It Gonna Take” (Vizz Tone)
6. TUMBAO BRAVO! “Casa Versailles” (PKO Records)
7. JEFF COFFIN & THE MU'TET “Into The Air” (Ear Up)
8. MARCUS MILLER “Renaissance” (Concord Jazz)
9. RANDY CRAWFORD AND JOE SAMPLE “Live” (PRA)
10. SMOKIN' JOE KUBEK AND BNOIS KING “Close To The Bone” (Delta Groove)
11. BRAD MEHLDAU TRIO “Where Do You Start” (Nonesuch)
12. CHEMBO CORNIEL QUINTET “Afro Blue Monk” (American Showplace Music)
13. DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND “Twenty Dozen” (Savoy Jazz)
14. KEVIN MAHOGANY & THE DAVE STRYKER ORGAN TRIO “Next Time You See Me” (Mahogany Jazz)
15. NICO WAYNE TOUSSAINT “Lonely Number” (Iguane Records)
16. RAMPAGE SWING “Michigan Avenue Stomp” (www.rampageswing.com)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND PATRICK HOLUBIK