Most Active Stories
- Unification Of Ypsilanti And Willow Run School Districts Fast Approaching
- Roundabout Construction Near Costco Will Soon Be Underway
- Emilio Teubal is a 'Constant Reinventor'
- Local cyclists organize 'Ride of Silence' in Ann Arbor, Ypsilani
- Controversial 413 East Huron Development Project wins Ann Arbor City Council Approval
Thu September 20, 2012
SHEMEKIA COPELAND TOPS WEMU'S MOST RECENT "SWEET 16"
We knew it was just a matter of time, but the WEMU staff knew that "33 1/3" by Shemekia Copeland would eventually claim the top spot on our "Sweet 16". If any CD validates her standing as the successor to Koko Taylor as "Queen Of The Blues", this one surely does. She has emerged on a new label with new repertoire, but her commitment to true, deep blues is as strong as ever.
Although Shemekia is the daughter of blues legend Johnny "Clyde" Copeland, she does not take her legacy for granted. She is one of the hardest-working blues performers today and packs a serious emotional punch when she hits the stage. Her "dues paying" and her faith in being true to the roots of the blues gives her honesty and integrity and lands her in the same category of powerful greats such as Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Koko Taylor and Muddy Waters.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY September 10 to September 16, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. SHEMEKIA COPELAND “33 1/3” (Telarc)
2. CHRISTIAN SCOTT “Christian Atunde Adjauh” (Concord Jazz)
3. PAPO VAZQUEZ MIGHTY PIRATES TROUBADOURS “Oasis” (Picaro Records)
4. LIONEL LOUEKE “Heritage” (Blue Note)
5. MARCUS MILLER “Renaissance” (Concord Jazz)
6. ANAT COHEN “Claroscuro” (Anzic Records)
7. RICK HOLMSTROM “Cruel Sunrise” (M.C. Records)
8. HOT CLUB OF DETROIT “Junction” (Mack Avenue Records)
9. NICO WAYNE TOUSSAINT “Lonely Number” (Iguane Records
10. ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin But Love” (Provogue)
11. ANTIBALAS “Antibalas” (Daptone)
12. BÉLA FLECK AND THE MARCUS ROBERTS TRIO “Across The Imaginary Divide” (Rounder)
13. CASSANDRA WILSON “Another Country” (eOne Music)
14. CHICK COREA & GARY BURTON “Hot House” (Concord Jazz)
15. DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND "Twenty Dozen" (Savoy Jazz)
16. DOUG DEMING & THE JEWEL TONES "What's it Gonna Take" (Vizztone)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND PATRICK HOLUBIK