Most Active Stories
Mon July 9, 2012
Tumbao Bravo tops "Sweet 16" July 2nd through the 8th.
Perhaps their "Top Of The Park" show for the Ann Arbor Summer Festival on July 4th helped propel them to the number one spot in WEMU's "Sweet Sixteen", but they likely would have achieved the spot without the show.
We at WEMU love highlighting local artists, and this ensemble of musicians from Ann Arbor, Brighton and Detroit is simply one of the best. Every member is a leader in his own right.
We are especially proud of their conga player, Dr. Alberto Nacif, former host of "Cuban Fantasy" until Marc Taras took over for him.
Even though we have an emotional attachment to the members of this band, we think this is music of the highest quality and recommend it for your summertime listening pleasure.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY July 2 to July 8, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. TUMBAO BRAVO “Casa Versailles” (PKO Records)
2. CASSANDRA WILSON “Another Country” (eOne Music)
3. DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND "Twenty Dozen" (Savoy Jazz)
4. DR. JOHN “Locked Down” (Nonesuch Records)
5. JOHNNIE BASSETT “I Can Make That Happen” (Sly Dog Records)
6. JANIVA MAGNESS “Stronger For It” (Alligator)
7. ESPERANZA SPALDING “Radio Music Society” (Heads Up/Montuno)
8. TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND “Everybody’s Talkin” (Masterworks)
9. ERIC BIBB “Deeper In The Well” (Stony Plain Records)
10.BÉLA FLECK AND THE MARCUS ROBERTS TRIO “Across The Imaginary Divide” (Rounder)
11.TOM HARRELL “Number Five” (HighNote Records)
12.ERIC REED “The Baddest Monk” (Savant Records)
13.SIA TOLNO “My Life” (Lusafrica)
14.BRIAN BROMBERG “Compared To That” (Artistry Music)
15. JON CLEARY “Occapella!” (FHQ Records)
16.MELODY GARDOT “The Absence” (Decca Records)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND DANIEL LONG