For two out of the last three years, 89.1 WEMU has been recognized as the 2017 Public Radio Station of the Year by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters for Public Radio Group 1, as well as several merit and best in category awards.
The awards were presented at the MAB's yearly Broadcast Excellence Awards held at the Lansing Center on Wednesday evening. The Broadcast Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcasting by commercial and public television and radio stations in Michigan each year. All 2017 entries aired between January 1 and December 31, 2017.
89.1 WEMU received three “Best in Category” awards and four Merit awards in the following categories:
- STATION OF THE YEAR (Public Radio Group 1)
Best in Category
- MUSICAL PROGRAMMING: Linda Yohn Guest DJ Series, Linda Yohn & community guest
- USE OF NEW MEDIA: Mr. B's Joybox Express Sprint For Flint, Patrick Campion & David Fair
- NEWS SPECIAL OR PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM: Linda Yohn Tribute And Farewell Interview, David Fair & Lisa Barry
- NEWSCAST: 10/10/17 6:04 am Morning Edition Newscast, David Fair
- SPECIAL INTEREST & CULTURAL PROGRAMMING: Ann Arbor Summer Festival Preview Show, Linda Yohn
- FEATURE USE OF MEDIUM: Hidden In Plain Sight: Terror In Ypsilanti, Patrick Campion
- MINI-DOCUMENTARY OR SERIES: The Green Room, David Fair & Barbara Lucas
Additional production credits to producers Mat Hopson, Taylor Pinson, Patrik Holubik and reporter Jorge Avellan.
WEMU-FM is lead by:
- Vice President for Communications, Walter Kraft
- General Manager Molly Motherwell
- Content Director Patrick Campion
- Chief Broadcast Engineer (Emeritus) Ray Cryderman
- Music Director (Emeritus) Linda Yohn
- News Director David Fair
Non-commercial, fact based reporting is made possible by your financial support. Make your donation to WEMU today to keep your community NPR station thriving.