Most Active Stories
- Art Exhibit Shines Light On Human Trafficking
- Sound Matters: Noise And Its Impacts
- Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority Celebrates Blake Transit Center Grand Opening
- Judge Orders Ypsilanti Township Residents To Stop Growing Medical Marijuana
- Ypsilanti Community Schools Board Approves Budget, Names New Superintendent
Fri August 30, 2013
Ypsilanti Grizzlies To Host First Ever Football Game Tonight
Last year at this time, the football teams for the Ypsilanti and Willow Run School Districts were preparing to open separate football seasons. Now, the districts have consolidated.
WEMU's Bob Eccles reports, the newly-formed Ypsilanti Community Schools will field its first ever football team tonight as the Grizzlies host the Milan Big Reds.
The Ypsilanti Community Schools football squad opens its season tonight at home against Milan. The Grizzlies squad is comprised of athletes that, last year, populated the separate Ypsilanti and Willow Run football teams.
Grizzlies Head Coach Rufus Pipkins says he's realistic about the challenges of putting together a team made up primarily of players from two different squads, neither of which were very good last year. Ann Arbor-dot-com Sports Director Peter Cunningham says he expects the Grizzlies will be better than that this year just due to the sheer numbers of available players. At the same time, Cunningham says you can't simply put two programs together and expect stellar results. He says the proof is in the pudding, and so far, there is no pudding.
Eastern Michigan University