Most Active Stories
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: The Threat Of Oil Pipelines
- Obama Tries Going It Alone — And Moves Onto Murky Legal Ground
- You Know It's Cold When Kenny Martin Wears Pants
- Ann Arbor City Council Delays Decision on Buying Edwards Brothers Property
- All But One Ypsilanti Community Schools Building to Open Friday
Fri November 8, 2013
Ann Arbor City Council Says Goodbye to Long-time Member Higgins
Long-time Ann Arbor City Council member Marcia Higgins said goodbye to the board last night at her final meeting. Higgins never imagined she would serve so long when she was first elected in 1999.
Higgins says she's most proud of something not very glamorous, work to clean up contradictions in the city's zoning language, adding that there is now more transparency in the city's budget and the labor contracts are better than they used to be.
Higgins says she was blessed to work with many great city council members, and it's important for council to listen to each other and work together. She explained that she was initially sad when she lost in the August primary but is now excited to have time to do things she's put off for years.