Most Active Stories
- WEMU Announces New Weekend Programming Lineup
- Blues Guitar Legend Johnny Winter Dead At 70
- Despite California's Drought, Taps Still Flowing In LA County
- Ann Arbor Mayoral Candidates Share Thoughts On Affordable Housing And Homelessness
- Issues of the Environment: Sustainable Living On The 'Homestead'
Fri November 8, 2013
Ann Arbor City Council Says Goodbye to Long-time Member Higgins
Long-time Ann Arbor City Council member Marcia Higgins said goodbye to the board last night at her final meeting. Higgins never imagined she would serve so long when she was first elected in 1999.
Higgins says she's most proud of something not very glamorous, work to clean up contradictions in the city's zoning language, adding that there is now more transparency in the city's budget and the labor contracts are better than they used to be.
Higgins says she was blessed to work with many great city council members, and it's important for council to listen to each other and work together. She explained that she was initially sad when she lost in the August primary but is now excited to have time to do things she's put off for years.