Most Active Stories
- The View From Inside Ypsilanti's Historic Water Tower
- University of Michigan Police Reviewing Protocols In Light Of Gunman Scare
- EMU Part-Time Lecturers Protest Pay Delay
- More Than Century Old State Law Could Fund Washtenaw County Road Work
- Pianist Benny Green Brings Impressive Jazz Legacy To University Of Michigan
Fri June 20, 2014
Ann Arbor Skatepark Grand Opening Saturday
Years of planning and fundraising will be worth it for area skaters as they celebrate the grand opening of Ann Arbor's new skatepark tomorrow. The event will include a demonstration by skating legend Tony Hawk and other professional skaters at 4 PM.
President of the Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark Trevor Staples says the event is free but they are still seeking donations for a maintenance endowment. They will have raffles, bricks for sale, and other fundraising efforts at the grand opening. By the end of the opening he hopes to raise the last $30,000 to reach a $100,000 maintenance fund.
The opening celebration will include contests for area skaters along the park's street course and bowls. There will also be time set aside to let the public try the new facility.
The opening celebration starts at ten with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 11.
— Andrew Cluley is the Ann Arbor beat reporter, and anchor for 89.1 WEMU News. Contact him at 734.487.3363 or email him firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parks & Rec.