Most Active Stories
- State of Michigan's First Witness in Gay Marriage Ban Trail Barred from Testifying
- AUDIO: Rebekah Warren Announces Congressional Exploratory Committee
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: The Threat Of Oil Pipelines
- Volunteer for the Spring Pledge Drive
- Obama Tries Going It Alone — And Moves Onto Murky Legal Ground
Thu January 9, 2014
Chair of County Commissioners Yousef Rabhi Not Running for Ann Arbor Mayor
The race to be Ann Arbor’s next mayor won’t include the chair of the Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners.
Yousef Rabhi today announced he won’t run for mayor this year. Rabhi says he expects it to be an interesting race, but likely won’t be endorsing any candidate.
Rabhi says he got a lot of support from the community over the last two months when discussing a potential run, but says he decided on his own that now isn’t the time. He hopes whoever becomes Ann Arbor’s next mayor will work to break down the divisions on city council.
Mayor John Hieftje won’t be seeking re-election, but council members Stephen Kunselman and Christopher Taylor have announced they will be running.
— Andrew Cluley is the Ann Arbor beat reporter, and anchor for 89.1 WEMU News. Contact him at 734.487.3363 or email him firstname.lastname@example.org.