Most Active Stories
- Winter Storm Warning In Effect Until 3PM, 6-9 Inches Of Snow In Washtenaw County Today
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: The Threat Of Oil Pipelines
- All But One Ypsilanti Community Schools Building to Open Friday
- You Know It's Cold When Kenny Martin Wears Pants
- Obama Tries Going It Alone — And Moves Onto Murky Legal Ground
Thu October 24, 2013
Collaboration to Increase Police Patrols After EMU Football Player's Death
Eastern Michigan University and area police agencies will immediately begin collaborating on patrols of the LeForge Road area north of EMU's campus.
One week after the death of 20 year-old Demarius Reed, an Eastern Michigan University student athlete found dead in the University Green apartment complex, law enforcement is collaborating to step up patrols in the area. EMU's Department of Public Safety will work with officers from the Ypsilanti Police department and Washtenaw County Sheriff's Deputies to patrol the LeForge Road area.
EMU Police Chief Bob Heighes says officers will meet at the Public Safety headquarters on campus each evening to coordinate patrol efforts.
EMU spokesman Geoff Larcom says apartment complexes in the area including University Green are working to enhance security with cameras and a neighborhood watch program.
The reward for information that helps solve the case is now $10,000. University Green apartments contributed half of that, with Eastern Michigan University and Crime Stoppers each giving $2,500.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-SPEAK UP. You can remain anonymous.