Detroit bluesman Johnnie Bassett, tops WEMU's Sweet 16 with "I Can Make That Happen"
Johnnie Bassett's new CD "I Can Make That Happen" once again topped WEMU's "Sweet 16" of most-played CDs for the week. Just after the disc was released nationally, Johnnie passed away on August 4th due to a battle with cancer.
As far as Johnnie's band members and his label Sly Dog Records were concerned, this recording was destined to bring Johnnie his long over-due international recognition. If WEMU listener reception is any indication, this disc will bring Mr. Bassett his deserved acclaim posthumously. He will be missed by WEMU listeners and staff alike, but his memory will continue to linger on the 89.1 airwaves.
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY August 13 to August 19, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. JOHNNIE BASSETT “I Can Make That Happen” (Sly Dog Records)
2. CHRISTIAN SCOTT “Christian Atunde Adjauh” (Concord Jazz)
3. HOT CLUB OF DETROIT “Junction” (Mack Avenue Records)
4. CASSANDRA WILSON “Another Country” (eOne Music)
5. JIMMY CLIFF “Rebirth” (Sunpower)
6. ANTIBALAS “Antibalas” (Daptone)
7. RANDY CRAWFORD & JOE SAMPLE “Live” (PRA Records)
8. LAKECIA BENJAMIN “Retox” (Motema Music)
9. ERIC REED “The Baddest Monk” (Savant Records)
10. THE SUGARMAN THREE “What The World Needs Now” (Daptone)
11. ZACH BROCK “Almost Never Was” (Criss Cross Jazz)
12. ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin But Love” (Provogue)
13. ORRIN EVANS “Flip The Script” (Posi-Tone Records)
14. BÉLA FLECK AND THE MARCUS ROBERTS TRIO “Across The Imaginary Divide” (Rounder)
15. SARA GAZAREK “Blossom & Bee” (Palmetto Records)
16. EDDIE SHAW & The 757 ALLSTARS “Still Riding High” (Stringtown Records)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND DANIEL LONG