Most Active Stories
- The View From Inside Ypsilanti's Historic Water Tower
- University of Michigan Police Reviewing Protocols In Light Of Gunman Scare
- Whitmore Lake Residents Have Questions Around Possible School Annexation
- Ann Arbor's STEAM At Northside Sees Jump In Enrollment
- Michigan Calling: Republican Governor Rick Snyder Answers Listener Questions
Fri August 8, 2014
Ecology Center Adding Solar Panels
Ann Arbor is getting greener. The non-profit Ecology Center is installing eight solar panels on its roof Friday.
The center's Creative Director Monica Patel says the price of solar panels continues to decrease. Patel says solar is a viable source of energy, despite southeast Michigan's erratic weather, "Enough to offset a good portion of our day to day household and commercial electricity needs. There are grey days, but there also are a lot of sunny days. More than say Portland, Oregon, or even parts of Germany where they have quite a lot of solar installations."
Patel says this installation is the first step in a larger plan to eventually install five-thousand solar roofs across Ann Arbor.
The center is also working on a community solar installation as part of its green affordable housing efforts.
Issues of the Environment