Community
1:27 am
Fri April 18, 2014

Michigan Runner Returning To Boston Marathon After Being Stopped Blocks From Finish Last Year

An area runner will return to the Boston Marathon this year partly to show he will do what he wants to do and isn't letting fear stop him.  Police stopped John Farah just blocks from the finish line last year when the first bomb went off.  

Area runners that train with PR Fitness and will be running the Boston Marathon Monday.
Credit Andrew Cluley / 89.1 WEMU

Farah is one of about 30 area runners that train with PR Fitness and will be running the Boston Marathon Monday.  Farah thinks the race will be safe this year as he runs Boston for the 19th time.

Runner John Farah says he thinks this year's Boston Marathon will be safe.

Farah says it took him well over an hour to connect with family members last year.  He says not knowing if they were safe at the finish line was the hardest part of the experience for him.

Runner John Farah describes his experiences near the end of the 2013 Boston Marathon when a pair of bombs ended the race.

Like 89.1 WEMU on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

— Andrew Cluley is the Ann Arbor beat reporter, and anchor for 89.1 WEMU News. Contact him at 734.487.3363 or email him acluley@emich.edu.