Most Active Stories
- Music Director Linda Yohn Wins 2014 National Jazz Programmer Of The Year
- Eastern Michigan University Professors Concerned With School's Ties To Charters
- U-M Water Center Gets $20 Million Contract To Study Sensitive Coastal Areas
- University Of Michigan Researchers Find Potential Way To Fight Brain Tumors
- Detroit Jazz Festival Music: Rodney Whitaker Celebrates Life, Jazz ‘When We Find Ourselves Alone'
Mon June 16, 2014
Michigan Theater Foundation Buying State Theatre
For 15 years the Michigan Theater staff has helped choose and market films at Ann Arbor's State Theatre. A deal reached today will have the Michigan own and operate the portion of the State Theatre that's currently used for movies.
Preliminary estimates had a $2 to $3 million dollar price tag for buying and improving the State Theatre. Efforts to improve accessibility, comfort, and presentation quality will take place after community based fundraising is successful.
Final closing is expected in September. The Michigan Theater isn't buying the retail space on the ground floor that will remain open as Urban Outfitters.
— Andrew Cluley is the Ann Arbor beat reporter, and anchor for 89.1 WEMU News. Contact him at 734.487.3363 or email him email@example.com.