Most Active Stories
- Sen. Warren: We Need Regulators Who 'Work For The American People'
- Changes Likely Before Governor Snyder Will Approve Medical Marijuana Bills
- DTE Proposes Natural Gas Pipeline Through Washtenaw County
- WATCH: Mr. B's Joybox Express - Mr. B Gives WEMU Listeners An Update From The Mississippi River Ride
- University of Michigan Students, Alumni Calling For Dismissal Of Athletic Director
Tue August 12, 2014
Music Director Linda Yohn Wins 2014 National Jazz Programmer Of The Year
89.1 WEMU’s Music Director, Linda Yohn, was named ‘Jazz Programmer of the Year,’ in a major market Friday, August 8, at the JazzWeek Summit's annual awards dinner in San Jose, CA. This is the fifth programmer of the year award for Yohn who was nominated in 2006 and 2008 and won four years in a row; 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. She was nominated again in 2013 and won again in 2014
WEMU was also one of six nominees for Jazz Station of the Year in a major market, but was a runner up to KSDS in San Diego. JazzWeek’s major market consists of 27 stations across the country.
JazzWeek, celebrating its 12th anniversary in this year, is the weekly online publication dedicated to jazz and jazz radio programming. Nominees are selected by JazzWeek subscribers, including: jazz radio programmers, jazz record company executives and independent jazz radio record promoters.
“It is touching, humbling and extremely gratifying to once again receive the JazzWeek ‘Programmer of the Year’ award for major markets” said Yohn. “However, I feel that the award does not belong to me only. I work with one of the finest, most passionate and deeply committed public broadcasting teams in the country. We are who we are because of who we serve - a discerning, supportive and perceptive audience. The WEMU listener knows good music and we must deliver it to them. To be recognized in such a fashion illustrates the unique and special nature of the communities WEMU serves.”
"Linda is an exceptional steward of the past, present and future of jazz,” said WEMU Program Director, Patrick Campion. “I'm honored to have her as a co-worker at WEMU and congratulate her on this well-deserved honor. Keeping jazz alive is an important part of the mission of WEMU and no one leads us to this goal better than Linda Yohn."
In addition to serving as WEMU’s music director, Yohn also hosts 89.1 Jazz with Linda Yohn which airs on WEMU from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- 89.1 WEMU is Eastern Michigan University’s public radio station, with a format of jazz and blues– that includes nine locally hosted programs – local news in addition to NPR news, information, and cultural programming. The station broadcasts to an eight county area that includes all or part of Washtenaw, Wayne, Oakland, Livingston, Jackson, Lenawee, Monroe, and Lucas (OH), webcasts live, twenty four hours a day at wemu.org, and via a free mobile app for iPhone and Android.