Most Active Stories
- Ann Arbor Skatepark Exceeds Expectations
- In 2014, U.S. Budget Deficit Falls To Pre-Recession Level
- Listen: George Bedard Takes The History Of American Music To Honduras
- Add Your Voice Of Support To Public Radio - 89.1 WEMU
- Teachers And Support Staff Endorse Ypsilanti Community Schools Board Candidates
Mon May 5, 2014
Over A Million Dollars Target For Tuesday's Give Local Ann Arbor Area
Tuesday could be one of the biggest days in local fundraising history. 50 non-profits across Washtenaw County and Plymouth look to raise over $1 million.
The "Give Local" Ann Arbor Area event includes a half million dollar matching gift from the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation. The match is specifically designated for health and human services and arts and culture organizations.
President Cheryl Elliot says the effort matches the foundation's mission to improve the quality of life for the whole community. Elliot says the foundation limited the effort to 50 non-profits to ensure the money raised for each group will be significant. Although she admits choosing just 50 of the over 500 organizations they work with was a big challenge.
The Give Local Day ties in with efforts across the country, and wraps up the 50th anniversary celebration of the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation.
— Andrew Cluley is the Ann Arbor beat reporter, and anchor for 89.1 WEMU News. Contact him at 734.487.3363 or email him email@example.com.