Voices of WEMU
Thu July 19, 2012
Tumbao Bravo Tops WEMU's "Sweet 16" Two Weeks In A Row!
Congratulations are in order once again for conga player Alberto Nacif, saxophonist/flutist Paul Vornhagen, trumpeter Bob Mojica, pianist Brian DiBlassio, percussionist Javier Barrios and bassist Patrick Prouty with special guest percussionist Pepe Espinosa for gaining the coveted top spot on WEMU's "Sweet Sixteen" for the new CD "Casa Versailles" two weeks in a row. The members of Tumbao Bravo are based in communities all over Southeastern Michigan and record for bassist Paul Keller's PKO Records label, now operating in Saline, Michigan. Featuring their music dovetails perfectly with WEMU's mission: to be a community public radio station, accurately reflecting the local culture.
Of special note on the "Sweet 16" is that three other recordings with local ties are also on the list: "I Can Make That Happen" by Detroiter, bluesman Johnnie Bassett, "Abundance" by Manner Effect featuring Ann Arbor native Caleb Curtis and "Third Coast Kings" the self-titled CD by the powerhouse, horn-driven dance band. WEMU hosts are proud to reflect the unique sound of Southeastern Michigan musical community and thank you for wanting to hear local musicians on 89.1!
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY July 9 to July 15, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. TUMBAO BRAVO “Casa Versailles” (PKO Records)
2. JOHNNIE BASSETT “I Can Make That Happen” (Sly Dog Records)
3. DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND "Twenty Dozen" (Savoy Jazz)
4. TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND “Everybody’s Talkin” (Masterworks)
5. BÉLA FLECK AND THE MARCUS ROBERTS TRIO “Across The Imaginary Divide” (Rounder)
6. CASSANDRA WILSON “Another Country” (eOne Music)
7. JAVON JACKSON “Lucky 13” (Solid Jackson Records)
8. KEVIN MAHOGANY & THE DAVE STRYKER ORGAN TRIO “Next Time You See Me” (Mahogany Jazz)
9. MANNER EFFECT “Abundance” (www.mannereffect.com)
10. THIRD COAST KINGS “Third Coast Kings” (Record Kicks)
11. ERIC REED “The Baddest Monk” (Savant Records)
12. MIKE STERN “All Over The Place” (Heads Up International)
13. THE SUGARMAN THREE “What The World Needs Now” (Daptone)
14. MANUEL VALERA “New Cuban Express” (Mavo Records)
15. LUIZA SALES “Breve Leveza” (Radio Hill Rio)
16. DAVID BASSE “Uptown” (Café Pacific Records)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND DANIEL LONG