Most Active Stories
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: The Threat Of Oil Pipelines
- Obama Tries Going It Alone — And Moves Onto Murky Legal Ground
- All But One Ypsilanti Community Schools Building to Open Friday
- Ann Arbor City Council Delays Decision on Buying Edwards Brothers Property
- You Know It's Cold When Kenny Martin Wears Pants
Thu August 29, 2013
Ypsilanti Community Schools To Lease Out Building, Two Others Unused
When classes start in Ypsilanti Community Schools next week, there will be some buildings that won't be in use.
WEMU's Bob Eccles has a look at what'll happen with those buildings:
Ypsilanti Community Schools open on Tuesday, and when they do, not all district buildings will be in use. Superintendent Scott Menzel says there were shuttered buildings in Willow Run and Ypsilanti even before the consolidation.
One of those buildings - Kaiswer Elementary - is being leased to a group that plans to use it to house programs for at-risk youth in the neighborhood. Menzel says Ypsilanti's Chapel Elementary School and West Middle School aren't being used this year, but if enrollment trends turn around they could be put back in service next year.
March on Washington